2013 Polaris Music Prize Short List Nominees Announced
The Drake Hotel in Toronto was the site last night of the reveal of The 2013
Polaris Music Prize Short List. Polaris is Canada’s version of the UK’s Mercury Prize. “This moody and exciting list is proof
that the ‘Canaian sound’ has no stylistic boundaries. In equal measure we
welcome the seven rookies and three repeat nominees to this year’s Short
List,” said Founder and Executive Director Steve Jordan.
- Godspeed You! Black Emperor – ‘Allelujah! Don’t Bend! Ascend!
- Zaki Ibrahim – Every Opposite
- Metric – Synthetica
- METZ – METZ
- Purity Ring – Shrines
- Colin Stetson – New History Warfare Vol. 3: To See More Light
- Tegan and Sara – Heartthrob
- A Tribe Called Red – Nation II Nation
- Whitehorse – The Fate of the World Depends on This Kiss
- Young Galaxy – Ultramarine
Two-time Short List nominees Kathleen Edwards and Shad were also
revealed as this year’s gala hosts. “We’re gonna Hal Johnson and Joanne McLeod this thing hard,” Shad added. The Polaris gala will be held on September 23rd at The Carlu in Toronto.
A call for Short List Nominee Poster designers was also issued
today. Interested designers and graphic artists should click on the links below
and enter their designs for consideration before the deadline of Friday, July
26, 2013 at 12pm ET. Winning designs will be given a cash honorarium and their
poster will be given to the Short List artist at the Gala and sold to the
public in limited quantities.
- ENG: http://polarismusicprize.ca/poster-design/
- FR: http://polarismusicprize.ca/francais/poster-design/
The eligibility period for the 2013 Polaris Music Prize ran from
June 1, 2012 to May 31, 2013. An independent jury of over 200 music
journalists, broadcasters and music bloggers from across Canada determined the
Long List and Short List. Eleven people are selected from the larger jury pool
to serve on the Grand Jury. The grand jury convenes the night of the gala to
select the Polaris Music Prize winner.